Artists Offsetting Emissions
Carbon offsetting is the process of measuring your greenhouse gas emissions then compensating
for, or ‘offsetting’, your emissions by investing in projects that reduce the amount of greenhouse
gas emitted globally into the atmosphere.
There are a number of carbon offset service providers in Australia who can help offset your
unavoidable emissions. These guys will undertake the following steps to offset your emissions:
1. Determine your boundaries - For example if you are undertaking a tour of the East Coast are
you going to offset just the band's air travel emissions, or will you include all of the crew
emissions as well?
2. Measure emissions - The offset provider will identify the relevant emissions sources and
calculate a comprehensive ‘carbon footprint’ using internationally agreed carbon emissions
3. Retire your calculated emissions - The offset provider will then invest in renewable energy
generation or bio-sequestration by buying nationally and internationally recognised carbon
Here are a number of tips you should consider before choosing a carbon offset provider1
• Only buy offsets from offset retailers who provide detailed information about their products
and services, and the projects they use to generate offsets. Projects may be in Australia or
overseas. Ask for more information if you need it.
• Choose retailers that help you estimate your carbon footprint and explain how the footprint is
• Choose offsets that are independently accredited by a recognised scheme or standard such as
offsets accredited under the international Gold Standard and Clean Development Mechanism.
Offsets accredited by VCS, VER+ and Greenhouse Friendly are also of a very high quality.
• Choose offset projects that change or prevent the underlying activities that create greenhouse
gases. These are best for combating climate change in the long-term. Such projects include
- improve energy efficiency
- increase renewable energy
- prevent waste going to landfill
- protect existing forests.
• Get documentary evidence of your offset purchase.
Finally, you might also like to consider providing audience members with the option of offsetting
their travel emissions or average daily emissions associated with travelling to and from your show.
Many offset service providers and ticketing outlets are able to accommodate such a powerful
carbon offset initiative.
1 Carbon Offset Watch 2008 Assessment Report, Institute for Sustainable Futures